Below are several of properties listed in the Greeley Historic Register
. The Register includes an array of properties, including houses, commercial buildings, a ditch, a sign, an artesian well and two historic districts. Enjoy!
Cross/Perchlik House, constructed in approximately 1919, is significant for
association with several prominent faculty members at the teachers college,
including Dr. Ethan Allen Cross and Dr. Richard Perchlik, who also served two
terms as Mayor. Their contributions to the university and community were
significant in the areas of education and politics. Both men were leaders at the
college. The house has character, interest and integrity and reflects the
heritage and cultural development of the city. The association with significant
teachers’ college leaders and their contributions adds significance for
reflecting the heritage and cultural development of the city.
The house is also significant as an intact example of a Craftsman style bungalow
in Greeley. Craftsman bungalow architecture was one of the most popular home
styles constructed in the United States between approximately 1910 and 1930.
Most examples in Greeley were constructed during that time, and by 1930, more
than 150 houses of this style had been built in the Cranford neighborhood.
During this time, the neighborhood evolved from a primarily rural area into a
significant and developed neighborhood.
Main features of the style, based on the Arts and Crafts movement that hearkened
away from the industrial era to an age of true craftsman, include an emphasis on
moderately pitched roofs, use of natural materials and colors, including wood,
masonry and stucco, some false half-timbering and front porches. Other features
include multi-light-over-one sash windows with mullions, small strips of metal
or wood which separate the panes of glass, and wide overhanging eaves, exposed
rafter ends and triangle braces.
The house is also geographically significant for proximity to the university
because of its association with the university through Dr. Cross and Dr. Perchlik.
POW Camp 202 Stone Gateposts
In 1943, the Army Corps of Engineers purchased 320 acres of Roy Abbott’s wheat field and constructed the POW Camp 202 for German World War II prisoners. Prisoners arrived in 1944 and lived here and worked on farms in the surrounding area. They were treated well and enjoyed educational, cultural and recreational opportunities in addition to their hard work on the farms and in the camp.
There were POW Camps around the United States during World War II, and this camp was very significant to show the impact of the war in Greeley and Weld County and the significance of the prisoners and their contribution to agriculture during the war due to the labor shortage.
The stone gateposts are the one remaining physical feature of POW Camp 202 near the location of the camp. Although they have been moved, they are still located in proximity to the camp location, which is visible from the gateposts. They retain character and interest and some integrity and reflect the history of World War II and the impact on Greeley and Weld County.
The gateposts are significant for association with World War II, and are significant for association with German POWs, who had a very important impact on Greeley and Weld County with the labor they contributed during a time of a labor shortage.
The Jacobs/Nixon House was likely built in 1906 by original owner James L. Bartlett. Bartlett lived in the house until he sold the house to John T. Jacobs in August 1912. Jacobs contributed to Greeley’s political development by his work as at attorney and judge, as well as his active role in the development of state irrigation law.
Mr. Jacobs lived in the house until his death in 1939, and his wife Alice Nixon Jacobs lived here until 1945. The house then had various owners including their son, John T. Jacobs, Jr., Ralph Noffsinger, and Pillar of Fire Church. In 1990, the current owner Jessie Jacobs purchased and moved into the house. She is the granddaughter of John T. and Alice N. Jacobs.
The home is a Foursquare form, popular after 1900. Identifying features include the square plan, two story height and minimal decoration.
The use of river cobble for the exterior foundation and south porch are particularly unique, as it is not a common building material in Greeley.
Frank and May Potts were the original occupants of this house, which was constructed by the winter of 1929. By mid-1931, Clay and Ruth Apple had purchased the house and moved in. Ruth Apple had been an English teacher and became an active member in the Greeley Women’s Club and the American Association of University Women.
Clay Apple contributed to Greeley’s development during his career as an attorney in Weld County. He worked on condemnation cases for the expansion of state highways during the 1930s, and filed a brief on behalf of the Mountain States Beet Growers Association and the National Beet Growers Association in a Supreme Court case that declared the 1933 Agricultural Adjustment Act unconstitutional. He was also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Colorado State Colleges from 1935 to 1941.
After his retirement and his wife’s death in 1983, Mr. Apple moved to Sunnydale, California. After he left, the home saw several short-term owners through the 1990s until the present owner who purchased the house in 2004. The home is a Craftsman style bungalow, popular in Greeley from 1900 to 1930. Contrasting brick colors, fake half-timbering, and brick detailing make the home a significant example of Arts and Crafts architecture in Greeley.
The house is significant for association with several prominent local businessmen and their wives, Lloyd and Margaret Neill, Otto Guy and Julia Edwards, and Lacy L. and Mary Wilkinson. Their contributions to the community were significant in the areas of business, politics and community involvement.
All of these men and women were leaders in the community in their occupations as well as were active in many significant community organizations. The house has character, interest and integrity and reflects the heritage and cultural development of the city.
The association with significant community leaders and wide variety of contributions adds significance for reflecting the heritage and cultural development of the city. This example of a Tudor Revival style house is unique and significant in Greeley.
The stucco exterior, the clipped gable roof and the decorative brick on the stucco façade are unique features on this example, as many of the Tudor Revival style houses in Greeley are brick or possibly wood exterior.