City of Greeley Water Rental Program Policies and Procedures
The City of Greeley has an annual agricultural water rental program it uses to rent excess supplies. Below are our Water Rental program policies and procedures.
Water rental request list
To rent supplies during the irrigation season, you must first get on the request list.
- We are transitioning to an online form submission, rather than a call-in system. As of 2020, the only way to get on the rental list will be using the online form.
- You will be given priority for your rental request based on a first-come-first-served basis. The online forms will be processed in the same priority as the phone requests and will be timestamped with the submission time.
- Please complete the online form. The form can be accessed before January 1 at 8 a.m., but forms must be submitted on or after January 1 at 8 a.m. or later to reserve a place in line.
- Requests made before January 1 at 8 a.m. through either process (online form or phone) will not be added to the list.
How to make a request
- Requests may not exceed 500 AF per renter.
- Specify your name, company (if applicable), phone number, email address, billing address, request amount, type of water (Greeley rents CBT by the AF, GLIC shares and AF, and WSSC shares), number of irrigated acres on the property, and ditch of delivery.
- Greeley’s water rental program is for AGRICULTURE ONLY. The water rental program is not for oil and gas, HOAs, or any other non-agricultural uses. The City of Greeley does have a separate water rental program for augmentation water; to make a request for augmentation water, please contact Jennifer Petrzelka (Water Resources Operations Manager) at 970-350-9859.
Water rentals will NOT be confirmed until after the annual April W&S Board meeting (typically mid-April). This is when the W&S Board declares an “Adequate Water Year,” meaning that the City has excess supplies available for rental.
- Rental prices shall reflect each supply’s average assessment cost plus an administrative fee equal to 10% of the total assessment cost, up to $500.
- CBT price excludes the cost of rule 11 charges. Please be aware that if C-BT water is rented, you may incur a rule 11 charge with your delivery ditch.
If the W&S Board declares an Adequate Water Year, the Water Resources Analyst will begin contacting requesters according to the order-of-priority on the water rental request list per the terms below.
- Water will first be offered to in-basin requesters first (Big Thompson, Cache La Poudre, South Platte), and then to requesters within Northern Water’s district boundaries.
- Once you are contacted, you have 48 hours to confirm that you would still like to rent the water requested for the irrigation season or make modifications to that request.
- Once you confirm your request with the Water Resources Analyst, she/he will send you a letter and invoice for your water rental.
- When the Water Resources Analyst receives your payment, your rented water is available for delivery through your ditch company. Water will not be delivered to you until the full payment is received.
Depending on snow melt and river conditions, Greeley may elect to rent out additional water after the initial April allocation. In this case, the next requests in line will be contacted.