2021 Program Information
Are you tired of spending every weekend mowing, fertilizing, and watering your lawn? The City of Greeley is here to help. The Greeley Water conservation will pay eligible water customers to replace their thirsty bluegrass turf with a more sustainable Colorado Xeriscape landscape.
The conservation program will rebate up to 2,000 square feet of lawn removed per single-family residence.
Commercial Properties (HOAs, businesses, churches, non-profits, etc.) can participate as well. Rebates will be limited to 5,000 to 20,000 square feet at a non-residential or HOA property.
Before you begin your landscape transformation, please review these rules and requirements to ensure your landscape transformation ideas qualify.
- Must be a City of Greeley water customer and own the property to be transformed. Landlords welcome to apply.
- Plan to remain in your home or own the property for five or more years.
- Convert 500 to 2,000 square feet of lawn to xeric plantings.
- You must be converting healthy, well-watered bluegrass turf, not weeds, bare ground, or patchy grass.
- Planting areas must have at least 3-5 plants per 100 square feet (3 shrubs or 5 perennials).
- Lawns to be re-landscaped must be a front and/or side yard visible from the street.
- The converted xeriscape area must be watered using drip irrigation, micro-spray irrigation, or hand watering. The area may contain paving stones, pavers, and brick, but must be filled with loose material and remain permeable.
- The conversion must comply with all City of Greeley landscape codes, and you must receive approval of your HOA, if applicable. If planting in the right-of-way, you will need to obtain a permit from Community Development.
- Structures such as sheds, gazebos, decks, patios, concrete, and impermeable grouting cannot be included as part of rebated footage.
- Participants must attend the required Life after Lawn class on January 13, 2021.
- You must call 811 for the utility line locates before beginning your project.
- The project must be completed and inspected by November 1, 2021.
- Allow City of Greeley Water Conservation to put a sign in your yard about the project.
- Have fun!
Benefits for the Homeowner
- Lower water bills
- Enhanced curb appeal
- Higher property value
- Learn about gardening and Xeriscape
- Can be lower maintenance
- Rebate of $1 per square foot up to 2,000 square feet
- Conserve a precious, valuable resource
- Improve drought resilience
2021 Tentative Timeline/Key Dates
- January 13, 2021: Attend Life after Lawn Class
- Winter: Applicants make decisions on goals, plan, and work on a landscape design.
- February: Property owners submit an application, pre-project photos and proposed landscape design.
- February-March: The City will screen applications and perform house visits if necessary.
- April 1: Projects can begin as soon as property owners are notified that they are approved.
- May-September: Attend any other Landscape Lecture Series classes to assist you with this process (optional).
- October: Participants submit rebate applications along with supporting documents once the project is completed.
- Below are a few examples of documentation and supporting documents:
If you have questions, call 970- 350-9874 or email email@example.com.