City Of Greeley

Greeley Fire Home

Administration


Community Safety


Emergency Preparedness


Operations


Media

FAQs


News







919 7th St Suite 103
Greeley, CO 80631
tel: (970) 350-9500
fax: (970) 350-9525
hours: 24/7
View Map

 

Are You Ready for Winter ?

Presented as part of the Greeley Fire Department Public Education and Awareness series.

Carbon Monoxide Safety
What is Carbon Monoxide? Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless deadly gas that attaches to the red blood cells and does not allow oxygen to enter the body. It is produced by the combustion of fuel in furnaces, clothes dryers, cars, water heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, barbeque grills, gas ranges or space heaters. Anything that uses a flame to operate can produce carbon monoxide.

Why should I be concerned? Carbon Monoxide can kill you before you know it is there because it is undetectable by human senses. Today's more energy efficient airtight homes can trap carbon monoxide and allow carbon monoxide levels to increase. Everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Signs and Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very similar to the flu, but without the fever. These symptoms usually go away when the victim gets outside to fresh air.

  • Headache, Fatigue, Dizziness
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Sleepiness
  • Unconsciousness
  • Confusion and disorientation

    If you or some one in your family has these symptoms, get to fresh air and call 911. This is a life-threatening emergency!

How do I protect myself?   Use the following check list to help prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
  • Get a carbon monoxide detector. Place one detector near the sleeping area of your home, and one near the furnace.
  • Test your carbon monoxide detector regularly to ensure it is operational
  • Have your furnace inspected to make sure it is working properly and it is not damaged.
  • Check all other appliances that operate on a flame such as water heaters, oven or stovetops, or clothes dryers.
  • Never use barbecue grills in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
  • Have your fireplace checked for closed, blocked, or damaged flues. Also clean out any soot and debris.
  • Space heaters that run on a flammable liquid such as propane or kerosene should be vented properly.
  • Never run your car while the garage door is closed.

for more information please contact:


Title:
Division Chief
Contact:
Dale Lyman
Phone:
(970)350-9510