Trees are amazing creations that enhance our daily lives. They provide the aesthetic qualities of beauty, color, and form; especially in our urbanized landscapes. Greeley loves trees. In fact, we have been a Tree City USA for over 30 years!
In order to keep Greeley green, we do the following:
- Maintain trees and shrubs in our parks and public grounds
- Monitor for damaging insect and disease issues
- Test, license and monitor shade tree contractors
- Enforce City codes for tree maintenance and planting
- Manage our Memorial Tree and Tree Donation Programs
- Plan, implement, and maintain public floral displays
See our helpful information below, and if you have a question, contact us at 970-339-2405.
Emerald Ash Borer in Colorado
The confirmation of Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) in Colorado warns of the upcoming, unavoidable introduction of a new tree pest to Greeley’s urban forest. This infestation could adversely affect thousands of Ash trees in our community and hundreds of thousands across the Front Range.
To date, the pest has not been found in Greeley; it has been found in Boulder, Lafayette, Longmont and Gunbarrell. It is important to stress that these communities currently have the only known infestations in the state. The State Department of Agriculture and USDA/APHIS have issued an Ash Quarantine for all of Boulder County, which prohibits the movement of any Ash material out of the Quarantine Area.
For more information about detection, prevention and treatment of Emerald Ash Borer, visit the Colorado Department of Agriculture. If you think you have EAB in your ash trees, please contact the Greeley Forestry Program at 970-339-2405.
Hiring a tree service (trimming and removals)
Companies or individuals offering tree trimming or removals in Greeley on woody plants over 10 feet in height must be licensed by the City of Greeley. See our list of licensed contractors.
- Ask for job references
- Check with the contractor and their insurance agency to be sure their policy is current
- When receiving bids, make sure you ask for the same exact service from all prospective contractors
- Tree "topping" is a unhealthy practice and is not allowed in Greeley
- Never pay in advance.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau at 970-686-7722 for additional references.
Close to power lines?
Few tree services are authorized to work within 10 feet of energized lines. Contact us at 970-339-2405 with questions.
Planting and caring for your trees
Trees are a significant, long-term investment in your property and the entire community. That investment should compliment your home and increase in value over time. Keep your trees strong and beautiful by following our tips below.