The Greeley Water Department is currently planning events as part of the Colorado Water 2012 celebration of water.
The mission of Colorado Water 2012 is to engage Coloradans in a statewide celebration of water: past, present, and future. We want Coloradans to celebrate our unique heritage as a headwaters state and understand the diverse uses and values of this precious resource.
”Here is a land where life is written in water.” So says the Thomas Hornsby Ferril poem that graces the rotunda of the Colorado State Capitol. How easy it is for modern Coloradans to forget that our tree-lined boulevards, rolling lawns and elaborate city-scapes are an illusion of bounty that was created over the last 150 years. From the early beginnings, in 1852, when Colorado’s first permanent settlers built the San Luis People’s Ditch to today’s efforts to keep the water flowing for people and wildlife alike, providing water has been a challenge.
Let's celebrate the water we have today as we plan for the future!
The goals of Colorado Water 2012 are to:
- Raise awareness about water as a valuable and limited resource
- Increase support for management and protection of Colorado’s water and waterways
- Showcase exemplary models of cooperation and collaboration among Colorado water users
- Connect Coloradans to existing and new opportunities to learn about water
- Motivate Coloradans to become proactive participants in Colorado’s water future
For more information, please visit www.water2012.org or follow the Water 2012 initiative on Facebook and Twitter.