City of Greeley officials want community members’ feedback (see feedback button on right) on proposed guidelines to regulate short-term rentals such as Airbnbs and VRBOs. In 2019, Greeley City Council adopted the Strategic Housing Plan. That plan tasked the community to develop regulations specifically addressing short-term rentals and ensure they are a positive addition to the community.
Regulations can help address common concerns regarding short-term rentals such as:
- Changes to neighborhood character
- Additional nuisances including noise, trash, and parking
- Conversion of dwelling units from residential to vacation lodging
- Effects on traditional visitor lodging such as hotels
- Unrealized tax revenue due to a lack of collection mechanisms
- Tension with neighbors due to unclear expectations
- Disillusionment with local government because of unaddressed problems caused by short-term rentals.
City staff collaborated with a group of community stakeholders assembled as the Housing Task Force. Together they developed a series of objectives to guide the creation of a regulatory framework for short-term rentals.
Those objectives are:
- Only adopt policy requirements that can and will be enforced
- Keep regulations and processes simple and understandable
- Tailor regulations to the scale and intensity of an operation
- Use existing tools and frameworks when possible
- Maximize the availability of affordable housing options by limiting dwelling unit conversions
- Provide a level playing field in the lodging industry by ensuring short-term rentals pay appropriate taxes and abide by expected standards
- Ensure public services funded by lodging tax receive proper revenue
- Minimize work on compliance personnel by requiring permits and responsible local contacts
- Allow residents to use their property to generate another source of income to help make ends meet
- Encourage additional tourism to drive more business to local establishments and events
With the objectives providing a foundation, members of the Housing Task Force analyzed the practices used in other cities to regulate short-term rentals and created draft strategies for Greeley.
Please see the information and recommendations below and use the Feedback button to the right to provide comments.