You may have heard the old saying, "April showers bring May flowers." Wouldn't you like a way to keep the water that we get?
The Greeley Green Gardening Fair is happening on May 4 from 9 a.m. until noon at the Greeley Xeriscape Garden, 2503 Reservoir Road. A significant part of the fair is a composter and rain barrel sale. Both items must be purchased beforehand for pick up at the event.
Greeley water customers receive special pricing on both items. Buy now!
Since August 2016, rain barrels have been legal in Colorado. Rain Barrels were not permitted in Colorado in the past, because many felt that it would conflict with Colorado Water Law and may infringe on downstream water users' rights.
Here are a few things to keep in mind, when developing your own rain barrel system.
- Limits the homeowner to 2 barrels
- Combined capacity can NOT exceed 110 gallons
- Collected water must be used outside on the homeowner's property
How to build your own:
- Choose a plastic or wooden barrel.
- Cut a hole in the top to collect rain water. Size it to fit your downspout.
- Create drainage holes. Top allows water to escape. The bottom allows you to attach a spigot and hose to use water.
- Install a filter for the top hole. Choose nylon or plastic, because metal will rust.
- Elevate your barrel off of the ground.
- Attach a downspout. You may have to cut the downspout and attach a diverter or 90 degree elbow.
- Wait for rain. Use rainwater on your plants and grass.