Building a deck? Planting a tree? Installing a mailbox? 811 is th number you should call before you begin any digging project. Every digging job requires a call – even small projects like planting trees or shrubs. If you hit an underground utility line while digging, you can harm yourself or those around you, disrupt service to an entire neighborhood and potentially be responsible for fines and repair costs.
As part of National Safe Digging Month, The City of Greeley encourages homeowners to take the following steps when planning a digging project this spring:
- Always call 811 a few days before digging, regardless of the depth or familiarity with the property.
- Plan ahead. Call on Monday or Tuesday for work planned for an upcoming weekend, providing ample time for the approximate location of lines to be marked.
- Confirm with Colorado 811 that all lines have been marked.
- Learn what the various colors of paint and flags represent.
- Consider moving the location of your project if it is near utility line markings.
- If a contractor has been hired, confirm that a call to Colorado 811 has been made. Don’t allow work to begin if the lines aren't marked.
Smart digging means calling 811 before each job. Whether you are a homeowner or a professional excavator, one call to 811 gets your underground utility lines marked for FREE.