Trees are amazing creations that enhance our daily lives. They provide the aesthetic qualities of beauty, color, and form; especially in our urbanized landscapes. Greeley loves trees. In fact, we have been a Tree City USA for over 30 years!
In order to keep Greeley green, we do the following:
- Maintain trees and shrubs in our parks and public grounds
- Monitor for damaging insect and disease issues
- Test, license and monitor shade tree contractors
- Enforce City codes for tree maintenance and planting
- Manage our Memorial Tree and Tree Donation Programs
- Plan, implement, and maintain public floral displays
See our helpful information below, and if you have a question, contact us at 970-339-2405.
Emerald Ash Borer detected in Colorado
The recent confirmation of Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) within the City of Boulder introduces a new tree pest to Greeley’s urban forest that could impact thousands of Ash trees in the community and hundreds of thousands across the Front Range of Colorado. The State Department of Agriculture and USDA/APHIS have issued an Ash Quarantine for all of Boulder County, which prohibits the movement of any Ash material out of the Quarantine Area.
To date, the pest has not been found in Greeley.
It is important to stress that Boulder is currently the only known infestation in the state. The Colorado Department of Agriculture does not recommend property owners start EAB preventative treatments until an infestation is found within 5 miles of a property.
If you think you have EAB in your ash trees, please contact the Greeley Forestry Program at 970-339-2405.
For more information about detection, prevention, and treatment of Emerald Ash Borer visit the Colorado Department of Agriculture webpage.
Hiring a tree service (trimming and removals)
Companies or individuals offering tree trimming or removals in Greeley on woody plants over 10 feet in height must be licensed by the City of Greeley. See our list of licensed contractors.
- Ask for job references
- Check with the contractor and their insurance agency to be sure their policy is current
- When receiving bids, make sure you ask for the same exact service from all prospective contractors
- Tree "topping" is a unhealthy practice and is not allowed in Greeley
- Never pay in advance.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau at 970-686-7722 for additional references.
Close to power lines?
Few tree services are authorized to work within 10 feet of energized lines. Contact us at 970-339-2405 with questions.
Planting and caring for your trees
Trees are a significant, long-term investment in your property and the entire community. That investment should compliment your home and increase in value over time. Keep your trees strong and beautiful by following our tips below.
Tree symptom checker
Click on a species below to see some of the commons issues and ailments. Detailed information, along with treatment options is included in the links.