Liquor Licensing

The liquor laws of the State of Colorado restrict the sale and dispensing of alcohol beverages. Any person intending to manufacture, sell, or deal in spirituous liquor in the State of Colorado must apply for a liquor license. The City Clerk's Office is responsible for accepting and processing liquor license applications as well as holding administrative hearings.

Liquor License Hearings

Business owners and managers as well as residents within a 1/2 mile radius of a new or existing liquor licensed establishment have the opportunity to participate in public hearings that determine the outcome of these applications.

To participate:

Attend a hearing or submit petitions and letters, in support or opposition to the City Clerk's Office, 1000 10th Street, Greeley CO 80631, anytime prior to the scheduled public hearing. Applications are available for review in the City Clerk's Office.

City Clerk Liquor License FAQs

  • What types of licenses are available?

  • How much does it cost to get a liquor license?

  • What are the requirements to obtain a liquor license?

  • How long does it take to get a liquor license?

  • What is the process once an application has been submitted?

  • What questions might the Authority ask at the Public Hearing?

  • If my license application is denied are my fees refundable?

  • Where do I obtain an application packet to proceed with the application process?

  • How long are Liquor Licenses valid?

Applying for a Liquor License

We recommend reviewing the comprehensive application packet with one of us to ensure a smooth application process. Approval of a liquor license requires City and State approval, so you may want to visit the State of Colorado Liquor and Tobacco Enforcement Division for additional information.


Download here for free, or pick up a copy from the City Clerk’s Office for $25


City Clerk’s Office 1000 10th Street, (970) 350-9743 or email with questions.

Additional Instructions:

  • We cannot process incomplete applications.
  • All forms must be typed or printed in black ink, accurate, complete in all aspects, and properly executed.
  • If you purchased an application for $25 that amount is deductible from your City application fees at the time of submission (hold onto your proof of payment!)

You may want to contact the following Department/Divisions for additional information and/or licenses that may be required as part of your liquor license application:

  • Finance Department, Sales Tax/Business Licensing, 350-9733
  • Community Development, Planning Division, 350-9780
  • Community Development, Building Inspection Division, 350-9830
  • Union Colony Fire & Rescue Authority, 350-9514
  • Police Department, Liquor Investigations, 350-9683
  • Weld County Health Department, 304-6415 Ext. 2212

Special Events Liquor License

Special Event Liquor License application packets are also available. These are for qualified organizations to sell or dispense alcohol beverages in conjunction with fund raising and other activities while ensuring full compliance with all applicable state and local laws and ordinances.

Renewals & Changes

Liquor licenses are valid for one year from the date of the approval by the Colorado Liquor Enforcement Division and must be renewed each year. Approximately 90 days prior to the expiration date of the license, one will receive a renewal application from the Colorado Liquor Enforcement Division. This will need to be completed and signed, with the appropriate state and local fees attached, and submitted to the City Clerk's Office for processing.

Approximately 60 days prior to the expiration date of the license, one will receive a reminder letter from the City Clerk's Office. Renewal applications must be accompanied by both city and state fees and submitted no later than 45 days before the license expires.

If you do not receive your renewal application from the state and your expiration date is near, please complete a form by going to the State of Colorado website. It is important that one do this since failure to renew by that date will result in expiration of one's license.

The following changes must be reported to the City Clerk's Office for consideration by both the local and state licensing authorities:

The licensee must also maintain possession of the premises for the entire licensed period by virtue of a lease, assignment of lease, or deed to the licensed premises.